It’s February, and you know what that means! In less than two weeks people will be celebrating love! Love. It’s something we all seek, a universal need. And when we find our true love, we sing! And when we lose love, we sing and cry and vow never to get hurt again. But then we meet someone and celebrate love again!
If you’re a single mom, Valentine’s Day may remind you you’re alone. No card, flowers or chocolates for you! But you know, you’re not really alone. Not if you have a child. Whether once married or never married, Valentine’s Day may be a reminder of a failed love. But your child or children are a reminder of unconditional love – of your unconditional, unfailing love as a mother for them— of their unfailing love for you.
Oh, I know it doesn’t always seem that way. Some of the things they say or do don’t always express what they feel deep inside. The same goes for you. Have you ever said something and immediately regretted it? Yep, me, too! So, when you start feeling sad and alone at the grocery store or wherever you are at staring at rows of Valentine’s candy hearts, be grateful for the love of your children. Be grateful for God’s unconditional love for you. If you’re not sure about that, contact us and we will share about God’s love with you! As the saying goes, Gratitude changes your attittude!
What if you’re friends with a single mom? What can you do? You can easily make their day better. These suggestions work for Valentine’s Day, or any other day or time.
- Send her a text. Tell her you’re thinking about her. Tell her to have a great day!
- Take her out to lunch.
- Bring a cup of coffee or a treat to work.
- Send her a friendship card.
- Buy her a gift. Who doesn’t like candles or a bath bomb any day!
- How about a gift card to a favorite restaurant, Uber Eats or a grocery store!
- Offer to babysit for free. Add a spa gift certificate to it.
- Buy her a book or a devotional. Here are two of my favorites: “Jesus Calling” https://amzn.to/3ojAs2N and “Dance Stand Run” https://amzn.to/3KZWBwX. These are affiliate links which means Hope for Single Moms makes a little money when you by from these links.
- Bring a meal in for her and the kids.
- Go for a walk with her.
- Go to a farmer’s market and buy her some fruits and vegetables.
This is just a start. I’m sure you can come up with some of your own. Now Go! And make someone’s day!