Summer vacation is a month away! Are you ready? Whether you work full-time or not, summer is a great time to reconnect with your children and have some great family time. There are plenty of free and fun outdoor activities that kids can enjoy! Here are some ideas:
- Go on a nature walk: Take a stroll through a nearby park or nature reserve and look for plants, animals, and insects Blandford Nature Center is one you’ll want to visit. Blandford Nature Center farm is nearby.
- Have a picnic: Pack a lunch and head to a local park for a fun and relaxing picnic.
- Fly a kite: On a windy day, head to an open field and fly a kite. Consider making your own kite. Here’s a how-to video or find another kite video.
- Play catch: Bring a ball and glove and play catch with your kids. Don’t have one? Play It Again Sports sells gently used baseball equipment.
- Go on a bike ride: Explore your neighborhood or nearby trails on a bike ride. Need a bike? Check out Facebook Marketplace or used bike stores near you.
- Visit a playground: Most cities have public playgrounds that are free to use. Let your kids climb, slide, and play to their heart’s content.
- Play outdoor games: Play classic games like tag, hide-and-seek, or kickball in the backyard or park.
- Have a scavenger hunt: Create a scavenger hunt around your neighborhood or park. Kids can work in teams or individually to find all the items on the list. Need some cool ideas? Do an online search or look on Pinterest.
- Have a water balloon fight: Cool off on a hot summer day with a water balloon fight in the backyard.
- Build a fort: Use blankets, chairs, and other household items to build a fort outside.
Remember to stay safe and hydrated during outdoor activities, and always supervise young children.