Are you still wondering what your children will dress up as? I know you’re probably just thinking about Halloween costumes and candy. But NOW is the time to think Christmas gifts! I know! But I also know you moms want to give your kids gifts and things that they want.
Helping with Christmas is part of Hope for Single Moms desire to make sure all our families have, well…family time together and family celebrations. It is an essential part of what we do! Let these following organizations help you out for Christmas.
- Be an Elf: Letters from parents and children to Santa requesting help need to be hand-written or typed and mailed (not emailed) between Nov 1 and Dec 12. More info at https://beanelf.org/seeking-gifts/
- Marine Corps Toys for Tots provides toys for children 12 and under. Go to their website and click on request or need a toy. Participating nonprofits providing toys will be available Nov 1. https://grand-rapids-mi.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/request-toys.aspx.
- Salvation Army Angel Tree provides moderate to low-income families with gift BUT you can’t be receiving any other type of assistance. Apply now through November, the earlier the better. https://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/walmart-angel-tree/
- Santa’s Little Helpers: Sign up NOW! You must have a Reddit account. The How-to is found here. https://www.santaslittlehelpers.net/registrations/
- Santa Claus Girls as well as c/o Grand Rapids Press
The address is 3102 Walker Ridge NW
Walker, MI 49544
Telephone number is (616) 957-7335
Packages are given to kids from birth to 12 years old. There may be both used and new Christmas toys, books, clothing, games, and much more.
- USPS Operation Santa is open to anyone, regardless of income. Write a letter to Santa Clause at 123 Elf Road, Northpole 88888. More info at https://www.uspsoperationsanta.com/
- Baxter Community Center
Free clothing bank is at 935 Baxter Street SE
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49506
Mostly clothes, but low income or working poor families can get free items at Christmas too. Shoes, small stocking stuffers, winter jacks and other year round or holiday help.
- Catholic Charities West Michigan — God’s Kitchen
Location is 303 South Division Avenue
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Telephone number is (616) 454-4110
The church has a Christmas Day meal service.
- Coopersville Cares
Main address is 180 North 68th Avenue
Coopersville, MI 49404
The charity has Thanksgiving baskets, meals, gift cards and provides Christmas gifts. They only cover the greater Coopersville School District.
- Holland Rescue Mission – Men’s Ministries Center
Main address is 166 South River Avenue
Holland, Michigan 49423
Call (616) 396-2200
There is low-cost Christmas store. The goods (toys, furniture, etc.) are sold at discounted prices to the public.
- Love Inc – Hudsonville
Main address is 3300 Van Buren Street
Hudsonville, Michigan 49426
For information, dial (616) 662-3300
They also run a low-cost holiday/Christmas store.
- North Kent Community Services
Main address is 10075 Northland Drive NE
Rockford, MI 49341
Dial (616) 866-3478
Social services, free food or groceries, small gifts and other goods may be offered at Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.
- Word Of Faith Christian Center
Food pantry address is 3030 Eastern Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49508
They have a free food pantry. There may be free groceries for holiday meals, including Easter, Thanksgiving, and/or Christmas as well as year-round help.
- United Church Outreach Ministry
Address is 1311 Chicago Drive SW
Wyoming, MI 49509
There are Christmas toys, clothes, and other items for low-income Kent County families. the main assistance program is a free clothing closet as well as low-cost thrift store.
- Salvation Army
There are locations in both counties. There is a food or grocery card for the family, including seniors or single households as well. This is also combined with financial aid, a low-cost thrift store, toys or free Christmas gifts from Angel tree, and more. Also, free Thanksgiving turkey dinners may be offered to seniors, the working poor, and needy.
Find Kent County Salvation Army programs (including in Grand Rapids) and Ottawa County.
- United Way
This is mostly a referral service. It covers the entire region, including Kent County and Ottawa. The non-profit can refer the needy to churches, charities, as well as social services for Thanksgiving meals, Christmas help, financial aid and more.